Thread: New Fish Store
View Single Post
Old 06/19/2006, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

Yes there is protectionism. I shop Hector's store, I have spent serious money at Southwest when Tim was the owner. I also used to frequent Phoenix stores until it became ridiculous gas-wise to make the trip. Somehow adding 30 dollars to your trip on the chance you will find exactly what you want, or better yet, something you can afford that you really want was not realistic. Back to the topic at hand.
When you make a comment that says "Hector used to have sales, Southwest has sales." One person is more expensive than another, etc. etc. It seems to be unnecessarily taking someone to task. Many moons ago, I used to work at one of the better stores in LA. Great owner, great service, great quality stuff. But you would see regular customers who had sometimes spent thousands of dollars, just disappear. You knew something had probably turned them off to the store as a customer, you just never knew exactly what. I think this happens in almost every business. One bad experience can poison your entire relationship with the store. Like they say, one angry customer can lose 15 more for you. That is why in any business they always say "service, service, service.", and the customer is always right.
As you can figure I do like Hector's store. Believe me the first time I went in there I walked right out, sure that it was just another hole-in-the-wall fish store. However, I gave him a second chance, and I am happy that I have. He has no problem handing out advice, regardless if you are purchasing from him or the internet. In fact I have had him tell me to go to the internet because he can't even buy the equip for what Marine Depot is selling it for. Also, I am extremely picky in terms of what I buy. As we all can be. I have found that very often he has pieces that are different. Not better, just different. I have cherry-picked every store in Tucson and Phoenix. Well not every store, it just seems that way. I do it on price and quality. I don't take weeks to make my decisions, I usually act immediately. Make your own decisions, blame me for a protectionist nature, I really don't care. I just feel that dragging another business down, either intentionally or unintentionally, is not fair. You keep acting as if Tucson needs another fish store when you can't really be happy with what is already here.