View Single Post
Old 03/29/2006, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

Well it's been about 3 weeks now and there is no sign of any red cotton ball left. Anywhere!

I want to thank you MMGM for this post. I had tried everything and talked to many people with no results. I even posted a thread here and didn't get far. I was loosing hope fast and loosing interest.

My tank is an 80 Gallon flat back hex with 20 gallon sump/fuge. (2) 250W halides and (2) 110W VHO's. It's as bad, probably worse than any of your examples. I have one whole corner of the tank full of Xenia that I harvest and take to the LFS every other week. It's pretty dense. The algae was almost as tall as the Xenia. It choked out most of my zoos and began to choke out my SPS. I have 150lbs of pemium fiji rock and you couldn't see any of it, anywhere. It was even on the sand about 2-3" tall. This was all in spite of weekly/biweekly water changes, siphoning and manual harvesting. I even had it in my Cheato in the fuge.

I got 25 XL Mexican Turbos. They did nothing for the first 4-5 days. Didn't even seem to move. Then, WHAM! I started to see a differance. I lost a few to crabs and falling and such. The cleanup seemed to pick up pace as time went on. They even cleaned up between the remaining Zoos.

I'll get rid of most of them inside the next two weeks and keep about 5 for general clean up. This is the answer. If you have this algae get the MEXICAN turbos!