View Single Post
Old 02/21/2006, 12:54 PM
Underevolved Mermaid

Quote:
Originally posted by nemo g
dhnguyen 2 things.

1. agree with you about the web presence. if nothing else, they should have phone numbers, addresses, directions, and maybe a list of products they carry.

2. your idea that they should have online store fronts really isnt feasible. without the ability to by in bulk, not just 3 filters at a time, there is no way they can compete with online retailers.

in fact, it could actually kill their business. for example, many who see prices listed on their web site will realize they can get it elsewhere much cheaper. but if they just hit the site for the aforementioned reasons (location, operating times) they will head to the store and possibly make an impuse buy. spending 75% more for a toy i can have right away makes many happy.

so, web site definitely. online retailing for lfs just not a viable option.

ng
I'm with nemo on both points here (and agree on dnguyen on the first, that websites are necessary these days to get the word out, and that those who lag behind, however qualified, may get trampled on by competition that caters to the savvy modern consumer).

On the second point, wanted to add that it's also no easy feat to overnight start an online store. There are differences in taking inventory and shipping, all which require specialized knowledge. With so much web competition, it just isn't profitable to run from a small mom & pop type perspective in the same way that many B&M stores are run.