Thread: Our Tbs
View Single Post
Old 09/25/2005, 12:50 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
Well, the C-pod is no longer on the tail of the tang, but now I have REALLY no idea how to catch it.
Brian,

I have been experimenting with a cheap trap. I took a 12" long piece of PVC that is 1" in outer diameter. I put a small piece of shrimp in the middle of the tube and stuffed both ends with a mesh material (I'm guessing filter floss would be best). Leave some room 2-3" on both ends of the pipe free of mesh materials so the c-pods can swim/crawl in. Basically you want something the c-pod will get stuck in while it attempts to get to the shrimp.

I put the trap in the tank with some low flow going through the pipe so the smell of the shrimp goes throughout the tank. I then put both end caps to the PVC pipe in the tank near the tube. I then quickly put both end caps on and took the trap out of the tank.

I caught 1 nass. snail, 1 cerith, a dozen amphiopods and one c-pod. I've tried the trap twice since then and no c-pods. It might work for you. I checked the trap 3 times each night.

I got all my material free, but I'm guessing it would cost less than $5 to make.

Since you have only found 1 in 4 months, you probably just have a single individual. Don't worry until you see two

Brian