View Single Post
Old 08/17/2005, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

--75g Barebottom/Starboard Reef Project--

--75g Barebottom/Starboard Reef Project--

Well it's time. I will be taking you along on the total overhaul of my new 75gal Barebottom,Starboard,High Flow,Cooked Rock, SPS tank. That has been in the works since Dec 11, 2004. Formally algae infested with a 2" sand bed.

After having my previous tank setup for about 1 1/2 years I had many problems. The following were the worst.

PROBLEM 1-

Flatworms

The first to encounter was the dreaded Flatworm. After many applications with FW Exit I took care of the problem. The product worked great at very high doses. The one thing I learned was I should have tried to kill them all in the beginning,they seemed to build up a immunity to the chemicals. I took care of the problem in a time frame of about 3 weeks. Towards the end using the WHOLE bottle at a time. Finally they all died.

PROBLEM 2-

Algae

Asparagopsis taxiformis- Cotton Algae. This was the one problem that made me almost quit the hobby altogether. I read alot about this troublesome nasty Algae. The best temporary fix was the Mexican Turbo Snail. I have to say they did there job. But not fast enough. Also this wasn't a cure. I knew on the surface of the rock, the rock would look good,but I knew this was just the beginning. It seemed no matter how many turbos I had it was still there. No matter how much Pruning I did it would come back with a vengence!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot at what point it was but I basically did give up to some degree.

Then I was reading alot. I mean I was on RC alot! talking to people and asking a lot of questions basically "What should I do now" The many things I read was you need to have Proper Husbandry,Lower your nitrates,Lower your phosphates,You need a better skimmer, Setup a fuge,Change your lighting schedule,Feed less,Increase your flow, Get a DSB/Deepsand Bed. The list goes on.

The solution presented itself to me in December 04.I was up at around 1am in the morning. I saw the topic Live Rock Cooking. What was this? Well I read a lot then more. Then I sent a PM to SeanT. Then after talking Via PM, we exchanged numbers, I talked to him on the phone. He explained everything to me in great detail. Not only on the topic of Liverock cooking but much more.

He also mentioned the name "Bomber"I wonder who that wasWho was this great man he kept referring to in our conversation? SeanT said" try to search the name of this person "Bomber" on RC". I soon found out who he was. The rest was history.

The liverock has been cooking ever since. Yes 9 months and counting.

Dec 26-04

No rock

Since I have taken these photos I have moved into a bigger house and have my basement all to myself. Not wifes space Also my rock is still cooking. My Corals are all being babysat in my friend WAGERJA's tank. A member of the Hudson Valley Reef Club. He has and is still helping me with this transition.

Last edited by arconom; 08/17/2005 at 08:41 PM.