View Single Post
Old 07/21/2005, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
That article only says that they didn't 'see' any problems with their particular organisms, not that sulfate was actually measured, nor that it might not happen on other systems with different nitrate loads or organisms.

I'll admit, however, that I do not know what sulfate levels become problematic to any marine organism, and I do not generally worry too much about sulfate rising. It is the lowering of alkalinity that concerns me more. That isn't a concern for folks using independent calcium and alkalinity additions, but can upset the balance for folks using otherwise balanced systems (CaCO3/CO2 reactors, limewater, two part systems, etc.)

The "acid effect" was disconcerting to me as well.... I'd rather do partial water changes and use standard common sense husbandry pratices than risking having to play chemist with my reef..... That's why I never messed with buffers and such in FW... Once you start you can't stop... And I know that SW is different in a way... But aside from calc levels, there's really not much you can't cure with a good old water change and a good skimmer...