View Single Post
Old 06/20/2005, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

Thanks again guys for the encouragement. Like Justin74 brought up….I sure how this all works out. It would be embarrassing to admit defeat on the thread That is why I waited a little while before starting the thread. I wanted to make sure the tank would spin, and the surge tanks would work.

Time for an update. I have just finished filling the system with RO/DI water. I also added 250lbs of Southdown Sand to the top tank. I will add the salt and fire up the MAG7 this week. It's probably time for me to order some snails and crabs. I just know I'm going to get some algae growth early on. I will try to get some test corals in the system a few days after adding the salt. Probably some cheap stuff like star polyp, xenia, and mushrooms.

Here is a little trick for getting rid of a "southdown cloud". Just add a powerhead with a DIY filter made of filter floss and a 20oz bottle. You should have clear water within 24-48 hours.

Here is some more detail of the lower plumbing. Like I said earlier... The top tank has a 1 1/2 inch drain pipe. The pipe is in the center of the round pool, so it just spins around. This spinning pipe slips into a 3 inch pipe coming up from the bottom of the lower "sump" pool. There is about 6 inches overlap. An output tube ensures constant water rotation in the lower pool. This is important since a heater (or 2 or 3) will be placed down there.

Just a reminder....we are on real-time now. This thread will be updated as I get steps finished. Next picture update will probably have some corals!