View Single Post
Old 02/19/2000, 01:27 AM
RC Mod

I always thought that another of the big bonuses of point lighting is the shimmering effect. Now, this is all trying to remember from things I read a couple of years ago, but I think I have it right. When MH light goes through the waves at the surface, it gets focused into bands of more intense and less intense light which move across the corals (and everything else). I know that some feel this alternation of intensity is very important. And I know that the more intense bands end up delivering much more light to a given spot during that time than without them (I can't even begin to remember how much of an increase).

I also know, and can understand, why this happens with MH but not with tube lighting, but there's no way I could even begin to explain, especially mathematically, and especially of the top of my head. And visually this is far more striking (makes me wish we could have a MH with our current system). So, at least as far as this effect is concerned, it would be better to have the MH 8" away rather than the VHO 3" away from the water.

Buy anyway, I guess this is just a different angle that I wanted to throw into the conversation.

Dave