View Single Post
Old 01/19/2005, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Who was in the wrong?

Just for discussions sake I thought I would throw out a incident that happened to my wife and I. We disagree on the ethics involved.

Ok we were at a LFS a couple hours from our house. It is not my regular but I do know the owner(even had dinner with him and his wife a couple times) and I buy quite of bit of drygoods from them. There was a couple there looking at a huge gonipora. Now from talking to the owner that same day I know they just received it in. The couple was telling an employee that they had just set up their tank two weeks ago and was wondering if the Goni was a good buy. I couldn't believe it when the employee stated that Gonis are very easy to keep and this one especially so because they had it their tanks for months(lie). When the employee walked off, I informed the couple that it was a bad buy with a high mortality and definately wouldn't make it in their tank. Well when the employee came back they must of expressed concern over the purchase. Next thing I know the employee to my face called me a liar once again stating how Gonis are "one of the easiest corals I have ever kept, I have 3 at home and we have never heard of a Customer having one die). This elcalated as you can imagine and we left the store. (I didn't purchase what I intended to either). Well the next day the owner calls to tell me that I am no longer allowed in his store and hung up. Upon telling my wife she was mad at me. She stated that I was completely in the wrong for discouraging the guys business. I had cost him money and they don't have all that much. She said I was ethically wrong because these people make our hobby possible and have to make a living to. She stated that if someone came into my company bad mouthing the product in front of Customers the same ban would have taken place. So who do you feel is right? Do you speak up when bad purchases are being encouraged by the LFS? Do you think the ban was appropriate? I can kinda see both sides but I think it is ridicules to make money off people by lying. Well?