View Single Post
Old 08/20/2004, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

simple mans analogy... a sandbed is like a junk closet,,,when you first start putting "stuff" in, no problem, then every once and awhile you have to go in and perform "junk" maintainence, if you keep putting it off and continually put more and more "stuff" into the closet,,,,one day the closet door is going to be opened and a all the accumulated "stuff" is going to fall all over.

some of you may know me others not, but i have had BB tanks, SSB's,and DSB's. personally i prefer BB. one of my biggest problems with DSB's besides the sludge factor is the detrivore kits that one must continually resupply. first im a cheap bugger and paying $100 for bugs in my mind is crazy. second, due to the limitations of an aquarium as opposed to "nature" is that there is only so much O2 that can be sustained in our tanks. if i have all these bugs and (dare i say it?) worms consuming O2 what happens when lights go out and everything in the reef begins to be a consumer of O2? levels of disolved O2 go down...pH falls(% depends on load of tank).

there are good and bad with every set up and design, but when the bad are more than the good, its time to shelve the experiment. i know the mantra "didution is the solution yadda yadda" but how do you dilute a DSB?

last but not least the ever famous saying,,,"but they look so natural!" (shudders,,,i cant even go into this one)....mike, jerel?,,,lol

Yes, I'm the One and only Witty~