View Single Post
Old 06/28/2004, 02:13 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by BLUE LAGOON
Habib
I see you mention,when using 2 part additives,run your Alk,at 8 to 10 DKH.But running a reactor can go as high as 12 on the DKH.Did I miss something here?Why wouldn't they run the same ?Why would a reactor run higher? I was also wondering when running ALK even at 8 or even higher say 9 above.It's possible over TIME "sand bed " can turn into a rock form.Is this a true statement?If not at what levels, would this come into play?
Thanks for you input here......

The higher the alkalinity and calcium are the faster it will precipitate as calcium carbonate. This calcium carbonate can not be used by corals and such and would be a waste of money.

When using a calcium reactor the pH is usually on the lower side and would make precipitation less fast compared to tanks with a higher pH.

Also, and that is somewhat a speculation, a higher alkalinity when using a calcium reactor might be required to let corals grow (faster).
Some studies have shown that the growth rate increases with increasing calcium and/or alkalinity but decreses with decreasing pH. So the relatively low pH when using a calcium reactor might be compensated by running the tank at higher alkalinity with calcium being in the normal or slightly elevated concentration range.