View Single Post
Old 05/09/2004, 10:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maxxII
The general rule of thumb I've understood was 18 inches and under, 175 watt. 19 -24 inches, 250 watt MH, over 24 inches in depth 250 w HQI or 400w .....
But keep in mind w/ the monster skimmer he's running, the water is exceptionally clear, (better light transmission due to less difraction from particulate matter), also Greg probably wont be placing the high light needing SPS on the bottom of the tank.
True

Quote:
As far as too much lighting causing problems.....that can even be dealt w/ according to lamp placement height. The inverse square law addresses this issue. I have a 21 inch deep tank that I've got 250 HQI's for, (I got a deal on them). I plan on dealing w/ the extra light levels by raising the reflectors to about 12 inches off the water surface. That should help out tremoundously.
Yes, but why spend money on the electricity to run a higher wattage light and then move it higher to reduce it's efficiency?

Quote:
Hmmm.... I'm no guru on the light factors here, (Sanjay, where ya at?) but I would consider at least 250 w Mogul based bulbs for this tank, possibly HQI's. I dont think that the 175's will cut it for a 24 inch deep tank. Maybe you can sell the 175's or work out a trade for 250's????
HTH,
Nick
Personally, I think they'd be fine, but I am in the minority.

If you want to know - ask. But I won't promise you'll like the answer.