View Single Post
Old 03/02/2004, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

Location: 1477 S. Prescott Ave., Clearwater, Florida. Phone: (727) 443-6459
Thanks, cirri....actually, you're asking the wrong person.....Frank Marini, one of the moderators for this forum, has written one of the best lionfish and scorpionfish articles to date (listed as Nov. Reefkeeping Scorpionfish, I believe) that's a MUST READ, in my opinion, located at the top of this forum.
Additionally, he moderates a forum specifically on the breeding and rearing of marine fish elsewhere in this site and is one of the most knowledgable people I've ever had the pleasure of almost meeting! **grin**

As far as I know, the dwarf fuzzies have been bred with some regularity, but I've only seen mention of the larger species breeding in the wild and in large public aquariums, where the event was just an act of nature that was totally by accident......then again, advances in this hobby happen so fast that it's difficult to keep up with.

To the best of my knowledge, no-one has so far been able to rear lionfish or scorpionfish in captivity (and after 32 spawns, it's easy to see why! **grin**) but spring is here again and we're hoping that the availability of live, wild plankton will be the deciding factor that allows us to at least raise a couple this year.
Or next year
Or the year after.....

Mike