View Single Post
Old 02/15/2004, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Post Vodka Method - Results

Hi Guys,
With testing on Vodka been run for 14 days, result has been excellent. The following is my tank parameters before & after

Test conducted on a 125G Berlin SPS + Clam tank.
Fish: 1xCB, 4XL.Wrasse, 1xCoral Goby, 1xalgae Benny
Feeding of SPS is 5X per week
Tank is BB w/ 100Kg of matured LR
Ozone w/controller set at 380mV.
H&S Skimmer 1500L -No.1 Skimmer in Europe!
Temp. 25~28 degree Celsius
Sg = 1.027
PH = 8.05~8.42
1 bag of Carbon insump
1 bag of RowaPhos insump
250W BLV 10K DE x 2 + 150W BLV DE x 1
4 Tunze all are 7000L/hr per pump
Return from Sump = MD40 =measured to be 3400L/hr

-----------------Before ------------------- After
Nitrate -----------5ppm------------------1ppm or less(undetectable)
PO4 --------------0.05ppm--------------0.015ppm or less

I started off with Top grade 40% alcohol Vodka. Dosage is 1ml per 150L of tank water and increase by slowly to 1ml per 100L over 7 days. I feel the dosage recmmende at the Germany Forum is good for tanks with big time nitrate issues. The test was conducted on a tanks with 60ppm nitrate & 0.7ppm PO4. Dosage should be admin or match to nitrate level. There is some side effect, most of my Acros have turn light pastel colors -> just like those regular SPS direct from Fiji or Solomon. Most reefers will realised that most Fiji SPS turn brown or at best turn to a darker tone from orginal colors. With this method I see all or most of my Acros turn to a light pastel hue. I believe this is due to very....very low level of nutrient in water as already used-up by the boom in Bacteria.

Now, comes the blunt truth. All or nearly 50% of my Indo-Zoanthid failed to open after 14 days of this method, some 20% of my mushroom turned white. Fiji Ricordia, Fiji white Xenia & Blastomussa are all OK. My Indonesia brown xenia died & Indonesia mushroom turn white as well.

I believe anyone who try this method have to be very careful. Our corals comes from a variety of places and some of these corals, even SPS can come from a environment with a certain amount of nutrient level. This is except Fiji corals, where water is god damn CLEAN! All my 18 clams, from XL Squamosa, Maximas & Corcea are all doing fine so far, with great shell gowth measured a bi-mthly-basis.

Max