View Single Post
Old 09/09/2001, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Alice
Hi Alice,

I'd also like to see some hard and fast research that backs it up but I know that all takes time. probably more time that most anemones are allotted in captivity.

As I said earlier in the thread, there simply is NO physiological research on these particular anemones. For information on them you have to rely on other anemone/zooxanthellae systems and extrapolate to these particular animals. I don't see any reason why these animals should be significantly different in their physiology than the anemones that have been studied, but it could be possible. Until it is shown that they are different however, I would apply what we know from other anemones to them.

As for hard and fast research about this topic, here are few citations from my data base and they should get you started on this if you wish.

Berner, T., G. Baghdasarian and L. Muscatine. 1993. Repopulation of a sea anemone with symbiotic dinoflagellates: Analysis by in vivo fluorescence. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. 170:145-158.

Brand, D. D., R. S. Blanquet and M. A. Phelan. 1993. Collagenaceous, thiol-containing proteins of cnidarian nematocysts: A comparison of the chemistry and protein distribution patterns in two types of cnidae. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology B Comparative Biochemistry. 106:115-124.

Engelbretson, H. P. and P. G. Muller. 1999. Translocation of photosynthetic carbon from two algal symbionts to the sea anemone Anthopleura elegantissima. Biological Bulletin (Woods Hole). 197:72-81.

Gates, R. D., K. Y. Bil and L. Muscatine. 1999. The influence of an anthozoan "host factor" on the physiology of a symbiotic dinoflagellate. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. 232:241-259.

Herndl, G. J. and B. Velimirov. 1986. Role of bacteria in the gastral cavity of Anthozoa. Ifremer (Institut Francais De Recherche Pour L'Exploitation De La Mer) Actes. Colloques:407-414,illustr.

Muller, P. G., K. W. Lee and C. B. Cook. 1996. Changes in the ultrastructure of symbiotic Zooxanthellae (Symbiodinium sp., Dinophyceae) in fed and starved sea anemones maintained under high and low light. Journal of Phycology. 32:987-994.

Saunders, B. K. and G. Muller-Parker. 1997. The effects of temperature and light on two algal populations in the temperate sea anemone Anthopleura elegantissima (Brandt, 1835). Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. 211:213-224.

Steen, R. G. 1988. The bioenergetics of symbiotic sea anemoness (Anthozoa: Actinaria). Symbiosis. 5:103-142.

Steen, R. G. 1986. Impact of symbiotic phosphorus-31 algae on sea anemone metabolism: Analysis by in vivo phosphorus-31 NMR spectroscopy. Journal of Experimental Zoology. 240:315-326.

Stochaj, W. R. and A. R. Grossman. 1997. Differences in the protein profiles of cultured and endosymbiotic Symbiodinium sp. (Pyrrophyta) from the anemone Aiptasia pallida (Anthozoa). Journal of Phycology. 33:44-53.

Swanson, R. and O. Hoegh-Guldberg. 1998. Amino acid synthesis in the symbiotic sea anemone Aiptasia pulchella. Marine Biology (Berlin). 131:83-93.

Wang, J. T. and A. E. Douglas. 1998. Nitrogen recycling or nitrogen conservation in an alga-invertebrate symbiosis? Journal of Experimental Biology. 201:2445-2453.

Weis, V. M. 1993. Effect of dissolved inorganic carbon concentration on the photosynthesis of the symbiotic sea anemone Aiptasia pulchella Carlgren: Role of carbonic anhydrase. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. 174:209-225.

Zamer, W. E. and J. M. Schick. 1987. Physiological energetics of the intertidal sea anemone Anthopleura elegantissima: II. Energy balance. Marine Biology (Berlin). 93:481-492.