View Single Post
Old 01/20/2004, 02:45 PM
T.O. = F.U.

Quote:
Originally posted by 3_high_low
Schism,

It was all the refs fault. The Eagles actually out-played the Panthers. The refs caused the interceptions, the dropped passes, the missed blocks. etc....It was all the refs fault. Now how foolish is that?

You're sounding just like a Raider fan.
There is a reason the Eagles lose every year about this time. It is the officiating and there is damn good reason. If you haven't noticed the eagles receivers are well toothpicks to be generous. In the regular season they don't get manhandled on every play without penalties. This joke of 'not influencing the outcome of the game' the NFL imposes on the referees causes them to not make the same calls they normally do. This is the problem. These receivers are well, easily bullied. They get manhandled and they try to do too much every play. Yes causing interceptions. If you didn't noticed not a single interception happened by ANY fault of the quarterback. Every single time it was because the receiver ran the wrong route. Regular season this doesn't happen, and happens every postseason game.
Referees fault? thats up to you, but it DOES influence the way the game is played. Is that fair? no. Its a novel idea to not influence the game by penalties, but when you cannot have a passing game because of this, you are influencing the game, just not as directly.
I never said the Eagles outplayed anyone, nor did they have much chance too. The referees and NFL allow a different game in the postseason, the Eagles and their receivers aren't built for a new game. They also allow Favors to take free shots at a downed quarterback, their fault no question. His shoes off, protect him, he's down. That was the game in an instant. They were starting to play well driving the ball, and suddenly, bad move, cheap shot, game over. Is that the reason a team should be knocked out, or win? I don't think so.
High low, say Brady gets knocked out next week by a similar cheap shot not controlled by the referees, then your backup throws 3 interceptions will you be upset at the call? Your lying if you say no.
I normally would say nothing regarding calls, as they are human, but the calls were 100% one sided and did effect the outcome of the game by allowing McNabb to be hurt. Its takes a simple whistle blow when he's on the ground and not moving to blow it dead. I have absolutely zero question in my mind that the outcome of the game would have been drastically different if that play had not occured, bad calls and all.

BTW what are everyones superbowl predictions? Im guessing a blowout, something like 34 to 10 Pats win. The Panthers could barely score on the Eagles with a beat up, marginal defense, I think they will be extremely luck to score twice against the pats D. And Given how well Staley ran on their 'invincible' D line Smith should enable the pats to run over the Panthers as much or more as they did the Colts.
I'm still amazed the Panthers made it this far, they just aren't that good of a team. The pats are the legitimate superbowl team.