View Single Post
Old 12/29/2003, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Sorry I didn't respond quickly. I think it is a good deal that would work well, and dragon explained the dusk dawn effect. URI Aquasun is advertised as 10,000k, but most people who get them say it is kinda pink. I just got VHOs w/ 2 Actinic Whites (50/50), and 2 super actinics, I really like the color. The 50/50s are 12k I think, they look crisp white to me. You can experiment with combinations of superactinic, actinic white, and aquasun.

I don't think you would need a chiller if you install a couple of fans in the canopy. Even with 880 watts, VHOs run cool compared to mh's. Thats why the low canopy is ok. The ballast upgrade really isn't needed if you have 2 setups b/c you will have 2 ballasts total. Here is an idea for bulbs:

First setup (on an hour before and after second setup):

- 3 superactinics,
- 1 50/50

Second Setup:

- 1 superactinic
- 2 50/50s
- 1 aquasun

I think this way the actinic color will be spread through the depth of the tank during the day more. You can go with more aquasuns if you want, it is personal taste. I'd say most people prefer at least some of the 50/50s for daylights if not all of them. Hope this helps.

Will