View Single Post
Old 12/18/2003, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

It was the Scott Michael (and others) printed information that got me thinking about the topic in the first place. Let me be direct. I do not consider a 100 gallon tank small by any means. It is not, however, the "ocean" - nor is a 200 gallon tank. Many of the online fish dealers do not consider a 100 gallon tank too small for even many of the large angels.

Of course when I purchased these fish years ago I did not believe that they would live 10 years! Through the years, these fish continued to grow, and stabilized at their current size. They always thrived, seemed content, and were disease-free. I understand that 10 years for a PBT is pretty good! These fish did not appear dysmorphic. I have seen large, dysmorphic fresh-water fish, that have been returned to my LFS. These fish - usually cichlids - have always been associated with VERY small tanks.

When I finally had the time (and all of my house remodeling chores were completed), I upgraded and consolidated into the 100 gallon tank by returning the predatory CT to my LFS. The 100 gallon tank was as large as I could deal with from the perspective of space, cleaning, and water changes. I would contend that a well-maintained 100 gallon tank is a far better marine environment than a poorly maintained 200 gallon tank!

Many scientific "conclusions" are based on one or a few studies that are extrapolated out to many other situations. Even for the Juvenile hormone growth-inhibition argument, since fish are not inbred populations, for how many fish species has this mechanism actually been documented?

Through this thread I was just trying to get a handle on growth versus space.

Thanks again!