View Single Post
Old 12/18/2003, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M.Dandaneau
Actually, this thread, and some others that I've read DO raise some interesting points.
In at least some cases, certain freshwater fish are known to give off a chemical that seems to limit growth in a specific environment, along with available food, water parameters and such, and I mean in the wild as well as in aquariums.

Many FW release a chemical simply known as JH (juvinile hormone) that is suspected of slowing growth and development. When I worked in a reasearch lab, we would do massive water changes even though are parameters were perfect for this reason.

But, I think the reason why small tanks stunt growth with marine species is much more mundane: cramped conditions lead to chronic elevations of stress hormones (steriods) and depression of growth hormone, leading to small fish. These fish are more suceptible to infection, show poor colors, and probably are barely fertile.

It's really sad the conditions under which some people choose to keep their fish and this thread is a prime example. We can argue all day about the borderline cases, but, anyone who has ever owned a CT or seen one in the wild knows that this beautiful fish doesn't deserve to be kept in a 58gal hex tank for 10 years.