View Single Post
Old 10/25/2003, 02:52 PM
Bogus Information Expert

NUBIANTANGLOVER

Not being any relation to the Deity when I say, "Let there be light" it doesn't happen very fast.

tuckz,

The usual test for aragonite is the "vinegar test". If you pour vinegar on some it bubbles up and fizzes. Leave it sit in some vinegar and it will eventually dissolve. This only happens with limestone based minerals like aragonite and calcite

Daniel,

No matter how careful one is there is always a sandstorm when adding new sand. It will clear up on its own over a couple of days or you can speed things up by using a polishing cartridge in a canister filter. You'll need some vinegar here also to clean the filter cartridge. It will plug up very fast. Remember to rinse it well after soaking in vinegar.

In a new tank it doesn't take much to stir up the bed. I think someone already mentioned that, over time, a bacteria film forms on the sand particles. These bacteria secrete various polymers that act as a glue and keep the sand storms in check in an established tank. As I said earlier today. After about 24 hours you can put any critters you have back into the tank without harm. A good old turkey baster can be used to blow any sand off the rock etc. I never thought I'd have to say this but I recently saw a new reefer using a baster. He took it out of the tank and filled it with air each time he squeezed it. Fill it with water and the water stream will do a much better job at cleaning stuff.

Oh, by the way. If rinsing a fine sand like Southdown don't get too carried away. You'll lose most of it down the drain it you rinse it too hard. Some people say you shouldn't rinse it at all as the very fine particles are good for the bed too.

Tom

Last edited by WaterKeeper; 10/25/2003 at 02:59 PM.