View Single Post
Old 01/10/2008, 09:14 PM
Premium Member

I have a similar situation, I decided to use one of those garden hose timers to turn on once per day for a time that gives me just enough water to compensate for Evap in my tank, this is fed through the RO/DI (which has the switch mentioned on page 1 to turn off the supply water once the float switch turns off the water to the tank) to a large holding tank that has 10 days worth of water just as backup. The float switch should last for a long time being flushed with RO/DI water. I set the holding tank at a higher elevation than the sump and used gravity to drain the holding tank into the sump. I used a float switch to control the water feed into the sump. This seems to work for me, no electrical use to feed water. As part of my routine I hit the float switch about once a month allowing more water to clean the switch. This layout has the benefit that the holding tank is filled once per day which helps the RO/DI to be more efficient (it runs for about 5 min per day), the timer is my first insurance to make sure I do not have water on the floor, the float switch in the holding tank is the second and the drain above the float switch hopefully will keep me safe. The shelf it sits on has fiberglass up the walls and a drain below. From there to the tank by using gravity and not a huge amount of water backup the float switch only allows a dribble of water so the evap and replacement are almost identical. I would like a better redundancy for the sump, I am trying to figure out a way to have 2 inline switches or something to make sure the tank does not end up with an extra dose of fresh water. Realistically unless I go on vacation I would see if the waterline is above or below the tape line that indicates the proper water level in the sump.

From what I know, water will get out and get everywhere, it will cause problems and you should make every effort to make everything redundant, floor drains are very good ideas and to only hold enough water to backup a short number of days and not have enough to sway your tank if it empties into the tank. I have a large spa maybe 500-800 gal (don’t remember) that I just purchased a few months back, I woke up and went out to the room it is in and everything was wet… it drained all the water into the drain, it was a high end spa but things happen. I had a floor drain that saved me but the rug under the pool table is soaked and in Oregon things are not drying fast… just be careful I had concrete floors looks like yours are wood framing.

Hope that gives you a few ideas.

Good luck,

-Ryan