View Single Post
Old 01/10/2008, 06:10 PM
Team RC Member

Mind, nassarius snails will make it about 10" up the glass---fast---before their slime overwhelms their energy and they sort of U turn and slide and fall down. I've never seen one get on rock.

If you get a pic of your brown rock-climbing nassarius I'd sort of like to fly them by the Invertebrate forum to find out if they are a legitmate subspecies or something else---maybe a perfectly 'fine' something else, but I'm just curious now. Remember that nassarius are carnivores, and the white ones have the polite habit of waiting until something is sincerely dead. I just want to be sure the brown ones are as polite.

Note: just did some googling, and found Nassarius Vibex, plus a kissing cousin, the New England and offshore-British Dog Whelk, which as you can tell, is a whelk---nassarius are close to the whelks, but better mannered. The dog whelk, which is what I fear is being sold on Ebay, [it can be collected on the coast] is indeed a scavenger, but has a nasty habit of preying on clams and limpets and other shellfish by boring a hole into the shell and having lunch. If you have brown nassarius, I'd just put them to work in the refugium, if you have clams or limpets upstairs.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.

Last edited by Sk8r; 01/10/2008 at 06:17 PM.