View Single Post
Old 01/10/2008, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seapug
There are many people who use trickle filters with bioballs that never have problems either. I was simply explaining the science & chemistry behind bio filters, what they are designed to do, and why their use is discouraged. 30 lbs of live rock rubble probably isn't cheap so I was just raising a caution flag before Josh dumped a bunch of money into something that may not improve his tank or solve the problem he is trying to fix.

I ran my tank with bioballs for over a year and never had measurable nitrate or phosphate, but constantly battled hair algae. I removed the bio balls, installed a phosban reactor and my troubles ended.

Regardless, the bottom line is do what works for you.
That's cool I hear what your saying. I hope you understand, I wasn't trying to come down on you. I just wanted to share my experiences with him. I agree, 30 lbs of rubble aint cheap. It's good to hear all perspectives before making a decision.

And if it helps at all, I would MUCH MUCH rather have a sump and refugium below my tank, but my stand's dimensions do not allow for it (space wise). I am sure that would be better for my tank, but I made due with what I could and so far it has worked.

If anyone had the choice of using a canister with LR in it, or using a sump, I would recommend the sump 10 out of 10 times. The only reason I point out what has worked for me, is to show that it can be done other ways, but there are ways better then what I have done.
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Fire Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp