View Single Post
Old 01/10/2008, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

I don’t have too much real world experience with them yet, since my last pair made it less than 3 days. They are apparently pretty susceptible to poor decompression practices during collection. If you get a properly collected specimen, however, they seem to be quite hardy even though they are pretty skittish when first added. Mine have adapted to halides pretty quickly and are out all day, although they do hide if I approach the tank too quickly. Mine are eating mysis, arctipods, and cyclopeeze so far.

Most of the reading I’ve done suggested sticking to a single specimen or a male/female pair in smaller tanks, but I’ve heard of 1m/2f trios being kept successfully long term, so I wanted to give it a shot. No aggression so far, but it’s way too early to tell. Consensus seems to be that in larger tanks (I think yours qualifies ) small groups can be kept, but again females should outnumber males. Only problem here is that sexing seems to be rather difficult.

Some sources suggested that females have very little yellow/orange on the body and are mostly pink in addition to having a shallower head, but I’ve seen pictures from aquariums and the wild of pairs and trios where the fish looked identical aside from size difference. I think, as with a lot of fish, you’re safest bet is probably finding smaller specimens so you can be reasonably sure they are mostly females. I’ll let you know how things progress.