Thread: baby bengais!
View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

I have raised bangaii and have a couple pics in my gallery. They are not very hard to growout, but I would definatly remove the male to a seperate tank when he gets close to releasing. I used to strip my male of fry to ensure no cannibalism occured. Make sure to do a few practice runs with your brine eggs to ensure your set up will hatch them when and as expected. If I were you I would also buy the decapsulated hatching brine eggs. That way even the unhatched eggs are edible.

Also the male must be removed from the fry tank as soon as he releases them. He has enough fatherly instinct to hold them without eating for 25 days, but his hunger will take over when they get into eye sight. I always kept my male seperate from the female for at least a week to fatten him back up a little also as the female could have eggs ready and he will readily take the new eggs in without regaining any fat stores. This can lead to him eating the eggs before the reach maturity or in many cases he will become sickly and weak trying to carry to term.