Thread: Marcorocks
View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Here is some advice based on my experience with 200# of Marco Rock for my 200 Bow:

1. Drill and pin your aquascape while the rock is still dry. I put a tape outline of my tank on the floor to get my spacing right.

2. Cook the rocks in rubbermaid containers, NOT the tank. You would not believe the amount of gunk that comes out of these rocks the first couple weeks. I didn't want that stuff in my tank, especially with any sand in it. I cooked the rocks for 2 months, but if you don't want to wait that long, I would say at least a couple weeks. I did 50% water changes (salt water) every other day. Each of my rubbermaid bins had about 10% uncured live rock placed in it in week 2 to start seeding the dead rock. Each one of my containers had a heater and a powerhead to keep good circulation and flush the rocks better. By the time I was ready to put the rocks in the tank, I had a good starting population of amphipods in the rock.

3. When you do put the rocks in the tank, run RowaPhos or another appropriate phosphate remover. It doesn't take a lot of phosphate to make the algae go crazy and the rocks will leech phosphates for a while.

Overall I'm extremely happy with my Marco rocks. They are beautiful, much cheaper than imported live rock, and are teeming with life now 6 months later.

Good Luck,

Steve