View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by edwardlmarshall
The link the Spike provided is a great place to start. All you really need is a small tank with some sort of hang-on, canister, or integrated filtration, a light source, and a heater. The sponge filter that comes with most such devices can be placed in your main tank or sump for 3-4 weeks to develop the necessary biological filtration capacity. Then, when you acquire a new fish, you just return the sponge to the QT and your QT is instantly cycled. After a 2-4 week quarantine, you can sterilize the sponge and return it to your main tank or sump, drain and clean the QT, and you'll be ready to go the next time you want to introduce a fish.

This also means you have a ready, cycled place to put your livestock should something go terribly wrong with your main tank. It's a win-win.
Wait, give me alil more info on what you just said in your statement. About the part where you said you can drain and clean the QT and when you need to use it you just fill it up and add a sponge from the filter to the QT tank and it will be cycled? That cant be true can it? If it is that would be great. the only reason i dont QT all the time is that i dont have the space and the extra cash to run an additional tank 24/7 in case i decide to add a new fish. Does that work though because if it does i will always QT my fish. Ill just tear down the QT tank i have now, cuz its empty anyways, and il pop the filter media in the sump of my main tank and if i decide to get a new fish ill just fill the QT with new saltwater and jst add the filetr media into the filer. ANyone else do it like this?