Thread: ReCycling
View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 07:38 PM
Huge Member

wow thats a huge buzzkill.

I would do a couple gallons of cheap white vinegar and fill the tank up with water. Of course scrub the thing pretty well also. Especially the seams and top edges.

You might test your tap water or RO/DI water, it might have contained the copper.

If I were you, test the water you put into it. That is, fill it all the way with FW, wait a day or two, then test it for copper. All this after you've cleaned it. Some people state that copper sticks to glass, silicon, etc., but in reality, its totally dependent on the type of copper (copper salt, chelated copper, or complex copper). Good thinking getting rid of the LR, LS, etc.

Just soak all your equipment in a bucket of water and vinegar for a day or so.

Also, I'm not sure about the type of heater you have, but theres a possibility that there is some copper wire exposed that could have leeched into your tank. If I were you, mix a bucket o' saltwater, test it for copper, add the heater, and test it again a few days later, and see if there's any differences. If one of the leads were exposed, it would still function properly, it would just be leaching copper.

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64