View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

I guess I should probably comment on what has gone on the last few months as well.

Nothing really to report. 100 gallon water changes monthly with gravel siphoning then every third month siphoning the sump. The calcium reactor had to be broken down at one point and more media added. Parameters have been staying rock solid with kH between 7 and 8, calcium at 420 and magnesium at 1400. It is also interesting that I'm not running any kind of GFO and the phosphate in this tank has never even showed up (using the D&D test).

The only huge negative was that unfortunately the sixth month old naso tang died. Mike called me late one night (he was on call) and informed me that the naso was dead and stuck to the strainer. I decided I wanted it out sooner then later and went to the tank with coat hanger in hand (I couldn't think of any other way to prod it off the strainer). Well I gave the naso a poke and it moved. He swam (poorly) severel inches into the middle of the tank where I was able to net him and take him back to my shop to try and save him.

He had no real outside marks or problems other than the small nick from where I had poked him. Eyes alert, very aware that I was holding him (wearing gloves) in front of a powerhead to try to get him some oxygen but everytime I let go, he had zero muscle control. It really was a bad loss as his brain was fully functional but his body just gave out for some reason. Anyway, he was dead in the morning and the only big fish remaining is the female bluethroat that bites.

I also had a problem with the Sequence Hammerhead closed loop pump this afternoon as the seal had rusted up and down the shaft and caused distruction in front and behind the seal. I'm waiting to see what MDM says but I'm getting real tired of opening Reeflo pumps only to find a rusty, unfixable mess (FIFTH pump in three months).

I'll work on getting some pics for the tanks one year anniversary by bribing one of my friends with camera skills.

John