View Single Post
Old 01/08/2008, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GDESQUIRE
Y-DesignGuy - If you remember I suggested the Phoenix bulb and ARO ballast. The ballast has bare wires. You can take apart the ballast that came w/ the unit and use that plug as I remember. The ballast that comes with the unit is electronic. You might want to try just changing the bulb before doing the electrical work required (which is minimal). You might be happy with the new bulb only. It's slightly more blue in color.

As to the look of the fixture, I think you would be much happier hanging it with the suspension wires that came w/ the unit. You could then hang it approx. 1 inch from the top of the tank which gives it a floating appearance and hides the skimmer etc. from being seen. I think you are being distracted with the ugly legs. I have used the 250 watt bulb for approx. 5 months. No chiller is needed - I run at a fairly constant 80 degrees. Water evaporation is about 1/2 gallon per day which allows me to dose kalkwasser. This keeps the PH at 8.3 - 8.4 and provides plenty of calcium. All of my hard and soft corals and the crocea clam are doing great.
I was hoping you would check the tread, I could not for the life of me remember your screen name and I couldn't locate the post. Yes thank you for the information I bought just what you mentioned.

I hate to ask, but could you post a pic of yours hanging from the ceiling? My only thought on that is, what if I want to move the tank, I would have to put more holes in the ceiling. But I think the idea sounds great and i bet it would actually look pretty cool in my place. I have lots of metal and glass I think it would fit nicely. And yes I think the fact I can see all the stuff in the back is what really turns me off. Its the first impression thing I think, when you walk into the family room area you can see the stuff in the back. Of course once you walk up to the tank you could careless what is in the back your looking into the tank. But its the first impression when you walk into the room im concerned with. I really didn't want to see a pieced together tank, I wanted to see a polished reef tank.

Thanks for chiming in, I was hoping you would!