View Single Post
Old 01/07/2008, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

My generator will easily run 24 hours with the load that I have on it. The lights only run for about 10 hours anyway, so that helps. As for placing it outside, this is what I originally did. Then I moved it into my garage and leave the garage door open while it is running. Over the summer, I had a line run to my 500 gal. inground propane tank that supplies propane to the furnace in my house. I bought the connectors to have it T'd into the main line, but still have to buy a regulator to reduce the pressure from the large tank so that the propange conversion kit on the generator will accept it, then I will no longer have to use propane grill tanks. I'm thinking about buying a transfer switch so that I could run anything in the house (Load respective of course and selectively), but haven't shelled out the cash to make that happen.

If you are going to just place yours outside, I would suggest going to lowes and buying some standard 12/2 or 10/2 electric cable with ground. Buy a standard metal electrical box, an outlet, a cover plate, metal wire gromets for the box, and a male plug for the end that will plug into the generator. If you buy an extension cord, make sure that it is rated for the current. Most electrical cords don't have thick enough wire to handle the load and there may be a voltage drop due to the length of wire.

Hope this helps