View Single Post
Old 01/06/2008, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

RO/DI setup for reef and drinking

I currently have a below-sink 2 stage water filtration system with its own mini faucet for drinking water. I'm about to purchase an RO/DI system for my tank, which will replace the 2 stage filter.

I plan on using the 1/4" tubing that's feeding my current filter system, for my RO/DI.

I'd like to plumb a line coming off my RO canister to my mini faucet, and plumb a line coming off the DI component to my aquarium, to an auto top off system. That way I'll have RO drinking water, and RO/DI water for the reef.

I'm wondering if there are any potential logistical issues with this setup. I don't yet have the RO/DI, but I've been doing research online about them.

It seems that for the RO drinking water part, I'll need a holding tank (like the popular 3.2gal capacity tanks that come with certain units), and this pressurized holding tank will service the faucet.

For the aquarium, I'll need a float switch which I'll plumb into my sump, which will be fed by a tube directly off the DI cartridge.

Are there any folks there doing this? If so, what parts will I need? Am I overlooking anything?

There's a vendor on eBay called Cleandrink, who has sold over 2500 units with perfect feedback. The unit I'm looking at is Reef Water Aquarium Reverse Osmosis RO DI combo Filter - eBay (item 230208110386 end time Jan-08-08 18:45:01 PST)

It seems like it will work. Any suggestions from those who have been down this road? Thanks all.