Thread: Shrimp cycle
View Single Post
Old 01/05/2008, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

It's a 30 gallon. I'm amazed at the amount of little mistakes I've made for the amount of reading and preparation I did, but I guess that's to be expected.

I bought 30#'s of dead rock a reefer had in a garage, rinsed it in freshwater, then put it in the tank with 30#'s of sand and a cup to seed. I was going on vacation, so I left it like that for three weeks to make sure the base rock was somewhat clean since I couldn't boil it. Probably a mistake.

When I got home, the water was a little green but everything looked ok, so I did about 40% WC and added another cup of live sand and a few pounds of live rock rubble. This was just over a week ago and I have been adding a pinch of flake food everyday.

I have not read any ammonia, and have a few feather dusters and a shroom that came in on the rubble which looks fine. The shroom actually seems to have grown in just this week.

One thing that has been concerning me is that I didn't clean the base rock properly. I have a large piece that is now a little green and has some tufts of red on it. I've looked at pics all over the internet and can't identify it. I'm concerned that it might be some sort moss that was growing on the rocks outside of water that I didn't get off well enough. I'll see if I can get some pics...

Last edited by Thelonius; 01/05/2008 at 04:16 PM.