View Single Post
Old 01/05/2008, 01:34 PM
It tastes like burning

Again, I appreciate all your perspectives. I've read numerous stories of crashes, but now it's personal.

I'll run to get more carbon today. I had some stored in the garage, but looking at the shape of it, I don't really trust it.

Water changes are also planned. I use RO/DI (a Typhoon III) and have a 44g Brute container to store water.

The electricity is also on my mind. I'll see if I can pick up a voltmeter today. In the meantime, I have my two Streams and the heater for basic tank operation, turning off the skimmer and other smaller pumps.

I suppose you could even combine the toxin and electricity ideas. If some stray current found its way into the tank, perhaps it agitated the puffer to where toxins had been released. I'm not sure how probable that is.

No cleaners (lysol, windex, etc) that I can think of used near the tank recently. If we do some major cleaning like that, we'll throw towels over the tank until we feel it's safe again.

In the tank, I see a good number of snails moving about. My mushrooms and Christmas Tree worms are behaving normally.

In the QT, my Dogface seems to have recovered, but did come out of the experience with a cut on his head (and I'm not sure how that happened). The gobies also seem to doing fine in QT. Without sand, it's not the best situation, but I placed a few smaller pieces of LR to give them some shelter.

The tank has morphed in its setup over the years. When first getting into the hobby in 2003, the 90 had my Dogface, a Volitan, a Heniochus, and a Snowflake Eel. Over the years and through the moves, all but the Dogface were lost. With the predators gone, we started to venture into more reef fish. I got the 180 and opened up another world. Some fish were also given to me when a neighbor was forced to tear down her tank, adding to the mix of fish. But in our last move, not knowing what our longer range plans were, we made the tough decision to leave the 180 in storage. Some fish had to go and some stayed. We had to keep our Dogface - with his personality and the fact that he's been with us all along.

I guess you're supposed to look for the silver lining. In this type of situation, it's a chance to rebuild. I'm ready to ditch the Soutdown because it blows around everywhere. Plus, my Dogface loves to blow around in it searching for food - and there are plenty of little bristleworms for him to find - but that puts more sand in the water column than I'd like. There are a number of reef-safe wrasses that we enjoy, and we'll probably look at adding some in the future.

As I think about going forward with the tank, I'll likely come up with a couple of tweaks I'd like to make to my setup. But now I'm happy I've managed to save what I did, and will continue looking to find what did this.

I can't thank you enough for pointing me in a couple of directions. RC has always been a great help over the years.