View Single Post
Old 01/04/2008, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by corivus
ummm from experience putting a piece of glass over an exsisting crack is only asking for trouble, your just putting a band aid on something that will eventually crack again. If you have a tank builder local to you you can get a whole new bottom pane for relatively cheap. I got a 48x24 1/2" thick piece for under $80 from a local tank builder.

If it was me I'd sleep much better at night with a new piece instead of a piece of glass over it.

As far as replacing, you'll have to remove the old bottom pane and then put a new piece back on. Make sure there is no leftover silicone otherwise you'll be sorry.

If you really are wanting to use a piece to just silicone in over the crack make sure you cover the entire crack, if the crack is going through the seam your going to want to just replace the entire bottom pane.
All perfect good points. with a tank as big as a 180, you really shouldn't push your luck for the sake of saving work, and a few bucks. I had the same failed experience of trying to patch a large crack in a 125. You'll never be able to apply uniform pressure over that large an area.

However I was corrected on the issue of new silicone bonding to previously cured silicone. I was under the same impression. I was corrected by a Dow chemical engineer in another thread. Make sure the cured silicone is extra clean and use Dow999. That's probably what's used in jumbo tanks anyway.