Thread: Thanks KirstenK
View Single Post
Old 01/04/2008, 06:34 PM
O-Qua Tangin Wann

Quote:
Originally posted by Helfrich’s Chic
WOW how did I miss this thread! LOL. Not good.

I read through and saw that a few people would like me to step up as the next "Frag Hag". Here are my thought on this.

1. I am honored to do so

2. I will have to have help from the community to accomplish this and keep it going in he great direction KK has taken it to.

3. While I understand the concern for a change of venue.... "if it aint broken why fix it." What I mean by this is when I was on the board of DMS we had a huge room 3x the size of Pranksters, a large school that we met in. It was a somewhat centralized location and we still didnt have very good turn out. Personally I love Pranksters. I AM a westsider, basically Surprise....I drive a HUGE truck that costs lots of $$ to fill... It takes me about 40 min give or take... BUT I still make that drive and spend the $ and time... WHY? Because of our awesome group thats come together here.
Honestly I think moving the venue would really cause this group that KK has worked so hard for to really fall apart to some degree. Pranksters is a little cramped at times but hey isnt that a GOOD thing? More frags to go around They have great food (try the 1/2 pound burger ) and ice cold beer. I dont see why we would want to change whats working so well already. Just MO.

4. Dues. Now this is where things get messy. TRUST ME, dues are VERY hard to deal wth and its near impossible to organize. Lets be real, how many people would NOT come if they had to pay $. There are lots of students in our club and people that dont have money to just blow, Im one of them LOL. First someone has to organize the cash. This in itself is a major task. Then the group has to decide on what the dues are used for, this is NEVER a unanimous decision. NOW with that being said, here is a good example of how DONATIONS not DUES could benefit the club.
I talk back and fourth to Bob Fenner and I have been trying to get him to come and be a guest speaker at FRAG. This would be a fantastic time to have DONATIONS not dues, to help pay for his lodging and his time. I dont know how many of you have met and hung out with Fenner but the guy is AWESOME, has fantastic information and puts on a killer slide show. In this instance I can see us all pitching together as a reefing community to have some come out and give us a great presentation. I would love to get others to come and speak as well, its always a great time talking with people who have been in the hobby for such a long time.

5. PROP
You all have to agree that PROP is amazing! I have been in the hobby a long time and until I found PROP there was very little in the way of LE corals for any reasonable price. Dont forget these are reefers, not in it for the big $ but in it for the health and growth of the hobby. They spend COUNTLESS hours fragging, mounting, testing water, buying new bulbs/equipment, ALL of this for the groups benefit. Personally I love PROP and hand it to them for all that goes into supplying all us locals with some REALLY nice stuff.

All in all KK has done an amazing job running FRAG. She was also the first one to greet me as well into FRAG, even thou I was in a little trouble with RC LOL!! Lots of hours go into this, as most of you seem to know. Can you even imagine only 5-7 people in FRAG? LOL I cant. I love bumping into people at FRAG turning around to say oops sorry about that and then peeking into their containers to see what they got! Anyways a HUGE thank you to Kirsten for all the hard work she has done, and I would have no problems stepping up and being the FRAG hag.

Right on sista'!