View Single Post
Old 01/03/2008, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Thales

I like Paradox's system too, but I don't like the idea of having to balance the peristaltic pump against evaporation. Over the year, the evaporation in my systems varies a whole lot, and I didn't like having to constantly adjust the peristaltic pump in order to keep up with salinity fluctuations due to evaporation. The one thing that would make it difficult for me to sleep at night in Paradox's system is the float valve in the sump to complete the top off. In that environment, I would be too worried that something would foul the valve or make the valve malfunction leaving it either off or on. Also, going on vacation on Paradox's system gives the tank sitter something a couple extra things to pay attention to, and I would rather lessen the amount of stuff they have to think about.

There is always potential for disaster, in any system.

Back to bed!
Very true that there is always potential for disaster. Its funny that you dont trust float valves, because Im the same way with float switches I trust a hinged valve over an electrical component, but again, there are many ways to do this. That being said, Ive had the same float valve in the sump from two different tanks for 7 years and never had a problem. Honestly, I think I only cleaned it once, but will be cleaning it more often now that we are talking about potential disasters.

The tubing does need to be checked. Every few months, I take the input and output end of the tubing and put them both into a cup of vinegar and let the pump run for 15-20 minutes and they are cleaned out.

Again, of course there are many methods to this.

I often think that the best system may be the simplest for the more systems you add to the tank (closed loop, kalk reactors, CA reactors, media reactors, skimmer reservoirs, remote sand beds, refugiums etc), you are just adding more potential points of failure. However, I like the ability to control as many parameters as possible. What else am I gonna spend all my money on!