View Single Post
Old 01/01/2008, 10:33 PM
One Good Friend

The skimmers above, the ER, Deltec, xtreme from swc shouldn't need any modification. The bedget skimmers like the octo's get much better performance from a meshmod and some other mods to it. You can basically take a 180 dollar skimmer and make it hang with most high end skimmers out there for a fraction of the cost. Tomorrow i'm supose to get my old octo 200 delivered here and i'm going to do a step by step mod so people don't have to search through the 400000 pages on the octo mod page. When i get it stock it'll be a nice looking skimmer that pulls 12scfh, 8" diameter and 24" tall and 12scfh! What the hey is that? So i'll do the meshmod, make a different venturi, boar out the elbo and it'll pull 40scfh. I'll then cut a few holes in it and recirc it. So it'll cost me 200bux for an 8" diameter recirc pulling 40scfh, so it should be able to handle a 225-250g tank no problem with those mods.

Sorry about the rant.....i don't think anyone should spend over a couple hundred bux for a nice skimmer. The mesh mod is basically some enkamat pf4, durable plastic mesh and you attach it to the impeller blades tie it on and it'll pull quite a bit more air.