View Single Post
Old 01/01/2008, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Help with In-Line Skimmer Plumbing

I have a 150 gallon tank on my first floor that is plumbed into a sump tank in the basement. I have an external water pump returning the water back to the display tank. I was planning on adding an Octopus Recirc 200 Protein skimmer to use externally because I am using my sump as a refugium and DSB. Originally I was planning on getting a feed pump to feed the skimmer from the sump. But the store I am buying the skimmer from suggested using it inline so that I wouldn't need a feed pump. I hadn't previously heard of this option so I am trying to gather info on how to plumb it.

1. The return pump Tees off right beneath the tank. Before that it is a single tube to preserve the head pressure. If I were to tee off of the returns for an in-line skimmer should I tee it off in the basement or on the first floor beneath the display tank?

2. How should I plumb off from the tee to get good pressure for the skimmer without overwhelming it? If I put a single valve and close it off to maintain head pressure it will produce too much pressure in the skimmer won't it? Should I do two valves?

3. Should the skimmer return go into the tank, the return line or the drain line?

Does anyone knoe of any good online sources for information about In-line skimmer plumbing?

Only a list of animals that Chuck Norris has allowed to live.