Thread: LPS Selection
View Single Post
Old 01/01/2008, 08:29 AM
Registered Member

With your light, you shouldn't have a problem with keeping sps at the top, not too far from the light. I have some frags under 70W MH in 12" deep tank, they grow, especially montipora:

Birdsnest, stylopora, pocillopora are good too - if they are growing in my tank, they surely should grow in your, and you can get frags online cheap. (I know, you asked about LPS, but these are trouble free and grow fast. Not such big visual impact, as LPS, although).

I have a soft spot in my heart for LPS too, but frequently regret having multi-mouthed ones, that require feeding (lobophyllia, acan, maze brain).

From what I tried:

No light:
sun coral. Required twice a week feeding, 1-2 worms/crustaceans per mouth, the big colony may compromise water colony. The small, fed by tweezers (no food will be lost) - will brighter the dark spot.

Low light:
Neon-green candycane tolerated the lowest light: 18W 50-50 PC at 6-7" below the light. Very slow growth. In the good light - grows fast and is very bright. Bad reaction on being moved from high light to low light, but not vice versa

Different hammers and frogspawns, these are branching:

Were kept in the same conditions, worse adaptation to low light. Grow good under 55W PC.

Medium light:
Others candycanes:

Brains:
Scolymia:

was most tolerant to everything.
Puffed Cynarina:

- sensitive to everything, but reacts only by deflation, not die-off - love both.
The multimouthed Symphyllia:

- just plain and drab, not worth it.
Maze brain - got it dying, same requirements, smaller food, algae easily gets hold on the skeleton, which was not the case with all other brains:

Will continue.