Thread: Overflow boxes?
View Single Post
Old 12/31/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

I have a CPR overflow on my 60. I will never get another overflow box again. In 5 years I've had two accidents with this. The hose at the top of the overflow to remove air came off the top of the box (damn cat) and lost siphon. I awoke to water on my living room floor and in the basement. Second time the foam came loose and blocked the down pipe not too bad but bad enough concedering we are now between houses and renting. Not even going into all the noise problems. I deal with noise at work (I'm an auto tech) so I enjoy peace a quiet at home, seem to be really picking up some noises more than others and a noisy overflow is one of them.
I finally had the overflow quiet and working great. Built a custom stand to put in the appartment. Needless to say since this last event I've been looking for a reliable external overflow and can't seem to find one that has not caused some sort of accident. Currently have a 120 on order with overflows. Making and currently working on a stand.
Sorry for the gloomy post but just my experience with hang on overflows. My suggestion would be to have your tank drilled and make a box for internal overflow or buy a reef ready tank.
Mark