View Single Post
Old 12/31/2007, 10:33 AM
Ozone Sniffer

I've used 5200 on a concrete tank with large acrylic panels. IIRC, the original seal was 795.

We had to reseal the tank due to Urchins eating the sealant. (My buddy at Long Beach, said he's had to reseal tanks due to the Naso tangs eating it too)

We had 316SS anchor bolts holding the acrylic in since it was a frameless top and the span was pretty long, for the thickness of the acrylic.

We gooped it all up with 5200, retightened the bolts, and gooped the nuts with more 5200. Worked great. I remembered being worried about the 5200, whether it was safe or not (chemical leaching). But the tank was 4000 gallons, and it was never an issue.

I have used gallons of 795. You HAVE to use it by its expiration date or it is useless (will NOT cure). Toss it out if its even close to the date on the tube.

Scott,
I noticed on Bills tank that he only put silicone between the rebate and the acrylic face. I think I would have added a fat bead all around afterward- between the edge of the acrylic and the face of the concrete. Do you know if he used acetone or something to clean the epoxy before sealing? The epoxy cures with a wax skin that must be removed (general info here, Bill obviously knows this ) before adhering the glass.

Not sure where he's at with the project, but it'd be nice to see some pics sometime, with no prying into the mans life.

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"