View Single Post
Old 12/30/2007, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

The day the lighting came

One of my big hurdles was picking lighting. I needed to go retrofit because of the canopy, yet was hesitant to get too powerful because of electrical limitations. But at the same time, since we've never had a reef, I'm still not totally sure of what corals we'll be keeping. But it sure does look like it's leaning towards an SPS tank.

I ended up being able to run additional power to the tank - something I didn't think was a viable option at first. So on Christmas morning I got my present... I ordered my lights!

Like I said - I ordered on Christmas day. And two days later (yes - 2!), I had a 50# box from AquaCave arrive on my step. All Icecap - three 250w DE HQI MH's with 10k XM's and two retrofit sets of twin 36" T5's with a mix of Giessman bulbs.

Here's the ballasts for the MH's (top x3) and the T5's (bottom x2). I LOVE the blue of the MH ballasts - it's a shame to have to hide them.

I got the halides installed that night, but AquaCave accidentally sent the wrong standoffs for the T5's. They sent the right ones off the very next day - I'm expecting them tomorrow.

Incidentally, AquaCave is WONDERFUL to work with. And it's a huge bonus that they're only a few hours away. I wish I'd have found them sooner - I would have pretty much had free next-day shipping with everything I'd needed! My emails with questions are returned with PHONE CALLS just minutes later. Thanks Albert!

I'm also fortunate to be only a couple of hours from Drs Foster and Smith - next day shipping from them too.

Last edited by MrSquid; 12/30/2007 at 10:33 AM.