View Single Post
Old 12/29/2007, 03:48 AM
I play with water

For those that didn't catch my my post and Paul's answer over in the T5 question and answer thread:

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulErik
The transformer box for that fixture contains the step up transformers (120V to 220/230/240V). It is easier and cheaper to use European T5 HO ballasts for 80W lamps because they are available in a two lamp version.
The light cutting out/off may be because of one of the transformers is over heating or from a bad T5 ballast which are housed inside the fixture. I’m not sure if the transformers are equipped with a cut off temp switch (thermal switch). If they do not it is probably one of the T5 ballasts. I don’t have my product specifications with me right now. It’s best to contact the manufacturer and trouble shoot the problem with them. I’ll be traveling the next few days and I can’t get information on the parts used right now.
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulErik
One more thing. Those step up transformers were originally designed for HID ballasts (150 watts maximum) but can be used for other applications. In this case they are providing the proper voltage to the T5 HO ballasts.