Thread: Bird Nuts...
View Single Post
Old 12/28/2007, 03:37 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Nina51
if you put out clusters of grapes, some raisins, currants, you will get all kinds of woodpeckers. they're some of my favorite birds. there's also a suet block made specially for woodpeckers that will keep them coming back for more.

you'll have downy woodpeckers, red bellied woodpeckers, hairy woodpeckers, along with your flickers. they get quite tame and will let you know, in NO uncertain terms, when the feeders are empty.
Thanks Nina. I do have a couple varieties of woodpeckers that are starting to frequent my feeders.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nina51
griss, be sure to avoid the junk seed. use only black oil sunflower seeds, safflower seeds and thistle along with the suet and you'll get mostly good birds. it'll help keep the sparrows and crows and crappy birds away from your yard.
I've learned that this year. In fact, since switching to black oil sunflowers, I am seeing more Cardinals in the yard. I also put out a feeder with just cracked corn in it to see if I can get even more Cards and some Blue Jays.

I am also building a Bluebird house to put up in February to try to attract some Eastern Bluebirds. I'll be sure to follow your recommendation for Mealworms as a treat for them

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobster
Thank is a pretty bird. What State are you in?
Hobster, I am in Missouri in West St. Louis County.

Quote:
Originally posted by mrferrit
i am shocked no one has commented yet on the title

bird nuts

come on guys
someone got to have something to say about that

nic pic though

"You guys confuse me...." ~ mhurley

"So does Sesame Street." ~ BrianD