View Single Post
Old 12/27/2007, 01:29 PM
Team RC Member

Lol! Your advice, Waterkeeper, is always on time and under budget---and very much appreciated.

And Sanababit---it's hard to judge the amount of ventilation a particular house has or where the aircurrents are going, so equally hard to judge how much is safe in those departments. I'd rather warn in broad generalities than have to advise somebody with mysterious tank problems. I sit here in the dark trying to ferret info out of somebody in trouble who shines a light, say, on his parameters, his equipment, the dates on which---and never mentions the person cleaning who has used abundant Windex to clean the tank frame and light kit and plugged in one of those scent-puffers right near the tank "because the water smells." [Sure it does, as it heads downhill.] If everybody knows that these common household chemicals CAN be a problem, hopefully they'll think to report them, steer cleaning AROUND the tank, and not overdo it.
I had a much-treasured pair of seahorses when I was in grad school. They were doing really, really well despite my limited circumstances---until the guys downstairs of our flat threw a cocktail party that went on into the wee smalls, and generated so much cigarette smoke up the stairwell that it hung in our apartment like a canopy. In the morning our seahorse tank was dead.
So I had an early and unfortunate intro to 'substances' as a problem in marine tanks. Sigh.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.