View Single Post
Old 12/26/2007, 10:29 PM
Teeam Gary!

Now you're talking my area! I do wine.

The Napa valley is very pretty but very commercial now and expensive. You can find some decent places to stay that aren't that expensive. What time of year will you be here? Crush (harvest) is in October and is a zoo. Avoid the crowds and extra expense. If you have the time I would recommend you stay at 2 or 3 different places and get a better sample of the areas.

I love Calistoga as a place to stay. There are foo foo spas, Indian Springs $$$ is nice for a night or two, great atmosphere and wonderful spa treatments. The Oasis spa is cheaper and still nice. The Roman Spa hotel is next door to it and reasonably priced for the area. For dinner, I can recommend a couple of places, Brannans in Calistoga or the Culinary Instutute of America (CIA). Google and check the Websites for these places.

Hire a limo or have a designated driver. What kinds of wine do you like? Are you new to wine or old pros? I'd recommend different wineries depending on this.

There is a lot to see in the area besides the wineries but if that is your main focus you can spend a month and not be bored.

Also check out the Amador or Calaveras wineries, they have some reds that knock the socks off anything coming out of Napa.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you can get rid of him for a whole weekend.