View Single Post
Old 12/24/2007, 10:28 PM
You Load 16Tons...

i have the stuff. i don't think my2's is the same since it doesn't look like distinct tufts, plus i've never seen it grow directly on glass. i think his is regular hair algae with diatoms.

it's absolutely horrible. i cooked my rock all summer to get rid of it. then after a few weeks back in a fresh tank w/skimmer but no fish or feedings, it sprouted right back. i wish i had just bleached it instead of cooking. after 2 months or so it started to burn itself out. by then i had a few corals i was sticking in there and i was concerned about having no nutrients whatsoever so i started dosing aminos and a few drops of selcon and it's starting to come back. i've stopped the selcon, even though the corals seem to like it.

i think the only way to get rid of it is to just get crazy coralline growth to choke it out. nothing seems to eat it deliberately. i've had my numbers all over the place trying to kill it, even Mg up to 1600.

my corals always seemed perfectly fine along with it, so i don't think it indicates anything bad. worst thing is it makes it impossible to glue frags.