View Single Post
Old 12/20/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

i put a dsb in both display and 50gal display fuge
thought it un-necessary but did it anyway - happy w/ results

although like someone else said
was getting detritus accumulation in there... increased the flow and also added quite a few nassarius snails to keep sand clean.

recently started feeding more heavily
like 3-5x per day for last several weeks (frozen + flake mixed in)... then last nite accidentally dumped way too much food in the tank - thought to measure nitrates today for the first time in mos (assuming/knowing would have nitrates and/or problems)...

but as always - zero!
actually was quite surprised about this (perhaps in disbelief - also using saiferts)... so the dsb and everything else appears to be doing its job... havent done a water change in atleast 2 mos either... on top of that my skimmer is 'bordering' on being worthless!

here is a photo of this system primarily LPS
but considering (trying to talk myself out of it!) converting into sps.

the display fuge (under display) receives 90% of water
fed via pump from skimmer stage (thus keeping some of the detritus out of fuge area) - then overflows into return stage of sump

re to original OP question

like to use XENIA as nutrient exporters in fuge...
although many dont like xenia (for obvious reasons) i like to keep a small amount in my main display - trim it regularly as to control spreading... then all that gets removed from display gets thrown into fuge

and my personal view is that it does a tremendous job at nutrient export! (perhaps grossly underestimated in this capacity imo)

but also use for nutrient export
gsp in the fuge and some in main display as well as chaeto...

there are zoanthids in there and other misc corals etc LR rubble... tons of pods, the tiny little starfish w/ the long legs... also an urchin and had a green dragonet in there to fatten up from a fellow reefer who didnt have the pods to sustain it (since been moved to another tank)...

would encourage you
to quarantine your chaeto/macro that you decide to go with (as well as anything/everything before being added to your system)

sound crazy???
who QT macro???

= how i got FW (flatworms) in my system
purchased chaeto at lfs (which will remain un-named but one of the better ones most of us like to use in valley)... then threw it into my system when got home... few days later noticed fw in their system at lfs and not long thereafter in my tank at home (the mandarin in main display likes to eat them)...

if it werent for having had fw in my system
would offer you some free chaeto/xenia but would be better off taking it from someone else - sure there are plenty around who have it to offer you!

good luck in setting yours up!

regards

regards

Last edited by WarrenAmy&Maddy; 12/20/2007 at 06:11 PM.