View Single Post
Old 12/20/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KCZoanthid
Welcome to Reef Central!

Read the Stickys at the top of this forum. You will learn a lot about Ich.

The short version:
Ich has 4 stages to it's life cycle. The only time YOU can see it, is when it's attached to the fish. That's when you will see the tell-tale white spots on the fish.

Just because you don't see Ich on the other fish--does NOT mean it isn't in the tank.

Just because you can't see the SIGNS of Ich on the other fish does NOT mean they won't become infected. Most likely--they WILL become infected.

Tangs are notorious for getting Ich.

Basically, you have 2 choices:
OPTION 1
Do it the RIGHT way and remove all the fish from the tank. Treat them in QT. They should be Ich-free in about 1-2 weeks at most. But you still have to leave the tank fallow (no fish) for 6-10 weeks.

OPTION 2
Leave the fish in the tank and pray they survive for the next 11 months. That's how long it takes for a single strain of Ich to die in your tank. Add a new fish (possible new strain of Ich) --and the timer starts all over. 11 more months for THAT strain to die.

I personally wouldn't put my fish through 11 months of hell by risking repeated infections over an 11 month period. I think it's gonna be a very rare fish that survives for that long.

Good luck.
I'm sceptical about the '11 month' claim. Do you have any sources to back this up? Just wondering.